What Were You Expecting?

I'm just a girl. Sometimes I'm mad. Sad. Angry. Happy. Amused. Funny. Sarcastic. But then, What Were You Expecting?

Avid reader. Book reviewer. Wife. Mother. Foodie.

The Kiss Test - Shannon McKelden The heroine really had to deal with a lot of bad shit; losing her job, losing her boyfriend, getting kicked out of her house, falling down the stairs and getting a concussion, being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes, getting smacked in the head, busting the hand off a wax Elvis statue and almost getting arrested for it...the list goes on and on.While some of these things were amusing, it kind of got to the point where I was rolling my eyes and thinking "jaysus, what's next?". I think the author may have sensed that she was pushing too far, because finally the craziness stopped. Just in time to save it from being a wallbanger.This is a friends-to-lovers themed novel. Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. In this case it worked, though I think it suffered for having been written in the first person. Having the added benefit of the hero's point of view would have offered a lot of insight - and broken up some of the whiny inner dialogue of the heroine. Having said that, I did enjoy the story. Margo frustrated me at times, but I was emotionally invested in finding out what would happen to her. I was also rooting for her and Chris to get together.Something I wasn't able to get past? The revolving door on Chris' bedroom. Based on his revelation at the end, I don't understand why he picked up a woman every night. That made no sense. But then, neither did Margo's stubborn refusal to see what was right in front of her nose. Overall a fun, light story despite my frustrations. Fans of Kristan Higgins should enjoy it.