What Were You Expecting?

I'm just a girl. Sometimes I'm mad. Sad. Angry. Happy. Amused. Funny. Sarcastic. But then, What Were You Expecting?

Avid reader. Book reviewer. Wife. Mother. Foodie.

Daisy's Back In Town - Rachel Gibson This is a hard novel to read at times. The secret baby plot is a lot harder to swallow here, because the baby in question isn't really a baby - he's 15. For me, it's easy to forgive and forget when the heroine doesn't tell the hero right away about a baby, but only if it's cleared up early on. It's a lot harder to justify after 15 years of silence. I remember having an argument with a friend about Daisy's actions several years ago. She couldn't accept that Daisy had kept her son a secret for so long. I, on the other hand, understood Daisy's reasons for not telling him in the beginning. I also understood how the longer she went without telling, the easier it was not to. I can't say I agree with it or condone it, but I understand. On the night of Jack's parent's funeral, Daisy and Steven confronted him to tell him they'd gotten married - leaving out the part about the baby. 15 years go by. Steven dies and Daisy realizes she must tell Jack the truth about their son. She goes back to Lovett, TX (her hometown, where Jack still lives) to tell Jack the news, leaving Nathan (her son) behind in Seattle. All along Daisy always thought she did the right thing by not telling Jack, something Steven always fed into. But once she's back she realizes she made a mistake - that she robbed both Jack and Nathan of a relationship.I think one of the reasons this works for me is that Daisy realizes she made a mistake and tries her best to make it right. She doesn't let Jack run all over her, but she understands his anger.Jack is one of those over-the-top alphas who oozes sexual menace. While that can be off-putting in a lot of ways, it really worked here. I can't exactly say why it worked, but it did. His anger at Daisy is completely and totally justified, as is his anger at Steven. When he realizes the enormity of their betrayal..well, my heart broke for him. Not only did he lose the woman he loved and his son, but he lost his best friends as well. Watching Daisy and Jack move forward with their lives and come back together was really hard at times. I wanted them to work things out, but I wasn't sure how Jack could let go of his anger. I worried that the resolution would come too easily, or that the true conflict would be brushed aside. But that wasn't the case. Gibson did a credible job of showing us how that anger can eat at a person. Although parts of this novel are tough to get through, it's well worth reading. The characters individual struggles and hardships just make them that much more rounded and believable.